Undergraduate Advising

Faculty advisors perform a vital role in student success at UNC Charlotte. Advisors are assigned to help students majoring or minoring in English. We recommend that students should meet with their advisors at some point during their time at UNC Charlotte to check progress to degree / requirements and to discuss career goals, explore study abroad, etc.

Please go to my.uncc.edu to make appointments with your academic advisor using CONNECT, which replaced Starfish on 6/27/2017. Find out how to make an appointment in CONNECT here. Students may only schedule appointments through CONNECT with advisors if they've been assigned an English Department advisor. If you want to declare the Major or a Minor, please contact Dr. Sarah Minslow (sminslow) via email. You may also contact the Interim Associate Chair and Director of Undergraduate Studies for the Department, Dr. Greg Wickliff (gawickli), to schedule an appointment to declare the Major or a Minor.

Each student who declares a major or one of the minors in English is assigned an individual advisor. You can check who your advisors are by clicking on 'View Student Information' after logging into Banner Self Service or by logging onto my.uncc.edu and clicking the "CONNECT" button. Sometimes there is a delay between the time a student declares the Major or a Minor and when he or she is assigned an Advisor. If you're a Major or Minor without an advisor (or if the advisor you've been assigned is no longer advising), please contact an Advisor below. Departmental advisors will be available Monday to Friday during the Fall and Spring semesters for consultations by appointment (or walk-in if there's availability). There is limited availability in the summer. During peak advising times, advisors' schedules get full, so scheduling an appointment or attempting to get a walk-in session can be difficult to accomodate. Students should anticipate this and meet with an advisor early to avoid being delayed when they register for classes.

Advisors are also available to answer more general questions or address concerns you have about University-level course work, time management, prospective careers, and other support services available on campus.

Download worksheets for the major and minors.

Undergraduate Advisor Availability:

Faculty Advisor room hours email tel
Dr. Sarah Minslow, Dir. of Advising 290-A Check CONNECT sminslow x0065

Special Area Advisors:

Children's Literature and Childhood Studies: Dr. Sarah Minslow (290-A, x0065)
Diverse Literatures and Cultures: Dr. Sarah Minslow (290-A, x0065)
English Learning Community: Tiffany Morin (290-G, x0244)
English minor: Dr. Sarah Minslow (290-A, x0065)
Internships: Dr. Sarah Minslow (290-A, x0065)
Teacher Licensure candidates in English: Dr. Sarah Minslow (290-A, x0065)
Technical/Professional Writing minor: Dr. Greg Wickliff (290-H, x0617) or Dr. Sarah Minslow (290-A, x0065)
Linguistics minor: Dr. Ralf Thiede (265-B, x0611)

All room numbers are for the Fretwell Building.

For telephone extensions, dial (704) 687-xxxx.