Tuesday, March 2, 2021
Welcome to the month of March! I hope your spring semester is going well and that you are finding the right work-life balance as we start our second year of the pandemic. Thank you for all that you are doing for our students and for the department during this improving but still challenging time.
I want to provide a few reminders and share some faculty news with you. (Please don't forget to send me any good news that I can share in future missives.)
March 4--Shaw Humanities Award nominations due to me (firstname.lastname@example.org)
March 12--English Department Meeting (11-12:30)
March 19--Book Orders Due
March 26--English Department Zoom "Coffee Break" (11-12)
Christine Arvidson published an essay “Take Me Out to the Ballgame. Please” in Nine: A Journal of Baseball History and Culture.
Boyd Davis published a co-authored article "Neurocognitive Disorder: Alzheimer’s Disease In The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Critical Perspectives on Mental Health.
Janaka Lewis gave several readings and presentations commemorating Black History Month in February:
- Presenter/reader, "Talking to Kids About Race," Moms in Athletics, Women Leaders in College Sports meeting
- Reader, Bold Nia Marie Passes the Test, National African American Read In, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Libraries
- Panelist discussing Black women’s STEAM Narratives, Verizon Wireless national BOLD Initiative
- Keynote, "Black Women's Suffrage as Activism" for New College of Florida
- Keynote, "Gender and Genius in African American Women's Writing," Gaston College (invited by Multicultural Affairs)
Janaka also published two poems based on The Color Purple in Sistories literary magazine. Check out pages 14-15 at this link: https://issuu.com/sistories/docs/issue_ii-correspondence_draft_1/2?fbclid=IwAR0OF1dGDVHZJpDfw2OgbY69xa3-VF_dTOWzjnzSQtNkf4NauB8ICswY10Q
Liz Miller's co-authored article "An Exploration of Language Teacher Reflection, Emotion Labor and Emotional Capital" was recently published in TESOL Quarterly.
Alan Rauch has organized a speaker event for the UNC Charlotte Chapter of Sigma Xi (see announcement below and flyer here) for March 24.
Best wishes, everyone!